“About 70 people have been confirmed dead and over 1,000 displaced as a result of the floods,” Lennox Mabasa, spokesman for the department of co-operative governance in KwaZulu-Natal province, told Anadolu Agency by telephone.
Heavy rains that began Monday in parts of KwaZulu-Natal and the Eastern Cape have destroyed infrastructure and flooded homes. Mudslides also destroyed homes in the region leading to several deaths.
“Some people have started returning to their homes as the weather conditions are improving,” he said, adding that rescue workers were still digging under the rubble.
President Cyril Ramaphosa visited the flooded areas earlier this week and expressed sorrow at the loss of lives and property.
More about: South-Africa