I cannot forget ill-treatment committed by Armenians, says former Azerbaijani captive

  23 June 2021    Read: 253
 I cannot forget ill-treatment committed by Armenians, says former Azerbaijani captive

“When the Armenians tried to shoot me, I was glad that I would be saved from being tortured,” said former Azerbaijani captive Elshan Islamov.

Islamov made the remarks at the trial on the criminal case of Armenian war criminals Ludwig Mkrtychyan and Alyosha Khosrovyan, who tortured Azerbaijani captives and committed other crimes during the First Karabakh War, AzVision.az reports.

Islamov said he was called up for military service in 1997 and was taken captive that year.

“While on duty in Gadabay district, Armenian intelligence officers came from behind and captured me. When I was in a detention center in Yerevan in 1999, the Armenians came to take me away. They locked me in a room where Ludwig Mkrtychyan entered and talked to me. He said that I had to change my name, accept Armenian citizenship and get married there, and then fight against Azerbaijanis. I was told that all conditions would be created for me in Armenia. After I rejected all this, Mkrtychyan began to brutally torture me. I was a painter, and they brought a sheet of paper to draw a picture of an Armenian officer. I drew the officer’s picture. Then they started beating me with a belt,” the former captive said.

The witness said that Armenians tortured them heavily: It was winter, they remanded me to their soldiers. They made me lie down and tied my hands. Then they poured gasoline on me, putting the bottle under my head. They were going to burn me. Then, they were informed not to burn me but to take me away. They started to beat me again. They took me to the car. After giving some food, they started to beat me again. They brought me to the village. When I got out of the car, they hit me on my head and I lost my conscience. When I came to myself, I found out that I was in Shusha prison. There were many wounded Azerbaijanis. They scratched someones’ eye out. They said that that person was taken hostage in 1992. They were pouring water on the concrete and we were sleeping there. We were given 3 minutes to go back and forth to the bathroom. When we ran to the toilet, it took 4 minutes. Seven minutes had already passed when I came back and I was brutally beaten.

A representative of the International Committee of the Red Cross came and saw that we had no place to sleep. He instructed them to give us bedding. When the committee representative left, they took the bedding. Then two people put me in a car and took me to a mountain. There they took me out and said, "Stop, we are shooting." I was glad that I would die. They told me to turn my back. When I turned, I saw our post. They started firing at our servicemen. They wanted our servicemen on the post to open fire at us. However, our servicemen did not open fire at me. "


More about: