Plymouth WW2 bomb found in garden detonated at sea

  23 February 2024    Read: 614
Plymouth WW2 bomb found in garden detonated at sea

A 500kg (1,102lb) German World War Two bomb that forced the evacuation of thousands of people in Plymouth has been detonated at sea.The unexploded device was found in a gardenon St Michael Avenue on Tuesday, sparking four days of disruption.

On Friday police closed roads and rail and bus services were stopped as the bomb was transported 1.4 miles (2.3km) through the city's streets.

The device was taken by boat beyond the breakwater and detonated at 21:51GMT.

The disposal of the device marks the end of huge disruption for thousands of people living in Plymouth.

A temporary 300m (984ft) cordon was put in place on Friday afternoon to allow experts to transport the bomb from the Keyham area of the city in a military convoy to the Torpoint Ferry slipway.

Plymouth City Council said 10,320 people and 4,300 properties fell within the cordon.
Residents in the area were asked to leave their homes for about three hours from 14:00 GMT as a safety precaution.

A number of roads were closed and rail and bus services were stopped as the bomb was transported through the city.

The cordon was lifted shortly after 17:30.

Resident Vicky Brotherton said it had been "a very anxious time for us" and she was "very relieved" to be home after spending the past four days in a caravan in Cornwall.

"Just a massive thank you to everyone who has been involved to end this safely - really impressed with His Majesty's forces."

Resident Jeannette Ssentongo said she was glad the bomb had been moved.

"Every morning I was at work checking my phone," she said. "It's been a worry."

"It's been terrible - we were one of the first ones out Tuesday morning and we just left the house, we didn't bring anything with us.

"We were allowed back in the evening to get my husband's tablets and that's it really."

Plymouth City Council leader Tudor Evans thanked everyone involved in the removal of the bomb.

He said it had brought out a "war-like spirit" in the city.

"I think it is fair to say that the last few days will go down in history for Plymouth," Mr Evans said.

"This war-time bomb has really brought out war-time spirit, people coming together to really support each other and whilst it has been really tough - we got through it."

The council said the Life Centre leisure centre had been used as an emergency rest centre for people who had been evacuated.

More about:

News Line