Some 893 injured in clashes during banned referendum in Catalonia - Government

  02 October 2017    Read: 532
Some 893 injured in clashes during banned referendum in Catalonia - Government

Some 893 people have been injured in clashes during the banned referendum on independence in Catalonia, the local government announced on Monday.

"A total of 893 people required medical assistance," the ministry said in a statement.

The ministry noted that four people have been wounded seriously, but remain in stable condition.

It was earlier reported that at least 844 civilians were injured in the clashes that erupted in Catalonia during the referendum. The Spanish Interior Ministry reported that 19 policemen and 14 Civil Guard officers had been injured as well.

Madrid officials sent the Spanish National Police Corps and Civil Guard who tried to prevent the region's residents from taking part in the vote.

Authorities in Catalonia are claiming that 90 percent of those who voted in the independence referendum are opting to break away from Madrid. Catalan President Charles Puigdemont said in a live televised speech on Sunday that Catalans had won the right to sovereignty.

Puigdemont has already called on the European Union not to ignore violations of human rights by the Spanish police during clashes with the supporters of the referendum.

More about: #Catalonia   #referendum