Storm Nate: Hurricane heads to New Orleans

  07 October 2017    Read: 439
Storm Nate: Hurricane heads to New Orleans

US states in the Gulf of Mexico are again on a state of alert as Hurricane Nate barrels towards them.

Parts of the city of New Orleans, devastated by Hurricane Katrina 12 years ago, are being evacuated.

Nate killed at least 23 people as it passed through Nicaragua, Costa Rica and Honduras as a tropical storm.

It has since strengthened to a Category 1 hurricane which, though not as strong as last month's Maria and Irma, will still bring strong winds and surges.

A hurricane warning has been issued for parts of the Gulf Coast from Louisiana to Alabama, amid warnings of life-threatening storm surge flooding.

Louisiana Governor John Bel Edwards has declared a state of emergency ahead of the hurricane, which is due to make landfall on Saturday night local time.

He said more than 1,000 National Guard troops had been mobilised with a number sent to New Orleans to monitor the drainage pumps there. "Anyone in low-lying areas... we are urging them to prepare now," he said.

A mandatory curfew from 18:00 (23:00 GMT) is in place in New Orleans.

"Our greatest threat... is not necessarily rain, but strong winds and storm surge," the city's Mayor Mitch Landrieu said.

More about: #HurricaneNote