The body’s digestive system, however, deals with gum base the same way it manages other indigestible substances—by converting it into poop. When you swallow gum, it goes into your stomach, and the sugar, flavorings, and other soluble substances are made available for further digestion and use by your body. The digestive system is very good at sorting the usable from the unusable, such as the gum base, which passes unchanged through the small intestine. It continues into the large intestine, and within a few days it is expelled with all the other indigestible parts of your food.
So that means swallowing gum is perfectly safe, right? Well, yes and no. Swallowing a great deal of gum (as small children may be wont to do) can cause problems. Too much gum base can form a gastric bezoar, causing a blockage that may require surgery to remove. And if you swallow other nonfood items, such as toys or coins, adding gum base will only make matters worse by sticking to them. So your parents were right in discouraging you from swallowing gum, even though your digestive system can technically take care of small amounts of swallowed gum in the same amount of time that it needs to take care of food.
Read the original article on britannica.com.
More about: gum