Russian FM talks about increasing number of OSCE observers in Karabakh conflict zone

  01 February 2018    Read: 2354
Russian FM talks about increasing number of OSCE observers in Karabakh conflict zone

"Discussions on increasing the number of OSCE observers on the contact line have started since 2010. The sides held several negotiations on increasing trust", Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Feb 1, AzVision.az reports.

After the April fights in 2016, during the meeting of Azerbaijani and Armenian Presidents, an agreement reached on taking concrete measures to increase trust between the sides. According to the agreement, 6-7 more people should be added to the list of OSCE observers on the contact line of troops. Since then, works are being done in this direction. Currently, the sides is closer to agree on specific parameters. We consider, the OSCE will be able to implement this agreement effectively, he said.

Russia’s top diplomat said there are reports that the expansion of the OSCEobservation mission will impede a political solution to the conflict.   

“Apparently, one must argue that all conflicts are the same, even in Karabakh, even in Donbass. The strengthening of security measures and political settlement process should be carried out in parallel. I hope that the agreement reached by the Azerbaijani and Armenian foreign ministers will be realized,” Lavrov added.


More about: OSCE   Lavrov