Situation in Nagorno Karabakh disturbing all of us - NATO Secretary General

  05 October 2020    Read: 279
Situation in Nagorno Karabakh disturbing all of us - NATO Secretary General

NATO calls on the parties of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict to stop the hostilities, the organization’s Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said.

Stoltenberg made the statement at a joint press conference with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu in Ankara, AzVision.az reports citing the Turkish media. 

"The situation in Nagorno Karabakh is disturbing all of us. We are closely following the developments ongoing there. Naturally, hostilities have a strong impact on the infrastructure, too. We see that such clashes are expanding over time. We call on the parties to stop the hostilities and return to the negotiation process," he said.

Armenian Armed Forces launched a large-scale military attack on positions of the Azerbaijani army on the front line, using large-caliber weapons, mortars, and artillery on Sept. 27.

Azerbaijan responded with a counter-offensive along the entire front. As a result of retaliation, Azerbaijani troops liberated a number of territories previously occupied by Armenia, as well as take important, strategic heights under control.

The fighting continued into October 2020, in the early days of which Armenia has launched missile attacks on Azerbaijani cities of Ganja, Mingachevir, Khizi as well as Absheron district.

The conflict between the two South Caucasus countries began in 1988 when Armenia made territorial claims against Azerbaijan. As a result of the ensuing war, Armenian armed forces occupied 20 percent of Azerbaijan, including the Nagorno-Karabakh region and seven surrounding districts.

The 1994 ceasefire agreement was followed by peace negotiations. Armenia has not yet implemented four UN Security Council resolutions on the withdrawal of its armed forces from Nagorno Karabakh and the surrounding districts.


More about: #NATO